Picnics and potlucks and parties, oh my! Got to love the start of the social season. I’m so looking forward to concerts in the park, school social potlucks, pool parties, backyard parties… [Read more…]
This recent bout of spring weather has gotten me in the mood for some fresh farmers market veggies! Too bad winter has returned with a vengeance and spring vegetables are a long way off. [Read more…]
I’m in the process of moving from wordpress.com to wordpress.org. Please forgive any glitches as I figure this out!
Fall is fully upon us! Brr, it got cold! Nothing like running a 5-miler in the zoo with the cheetahs to keep you warm. That and fun family and friend gatherings to get in the soon-to-be holiday spirit. What did you do this weekend? [Read more…]
Among my many wonderful traditional Thanksgivings over the years, there have been a few notable ones that were decidedly less traditional. While they weren’t Norman Rockwell inspired, they were special times shared with friends and family and I still remember them so I put them up there among my favorites. Read on for some weird Thanksgivings, more tips for this Thanksgiving, and a a game to put on your daughter’s Christmas list this year. [Read more…]
We’re doing Thanksgiving a little different this year. Typically we go to my husband’s family’s house for the day for a big family meal. It’s loud, it’s chaotic, there’s drama, there are relatives there that we haven’t seen since the last year’s Thanksgiving.
Squeezing in one last big hill run this weekend before next Saturday’s Zoo Zoom. Couch to 5k went so well I figured I’d tackle an 8k. Ack! So, a big bowl of pasta tonight to fuel me for 5 miles tomorrow.
And a wine tasting to pair with said pasta: an upcoming Shrimp Pasta recipe (that’s Cappelini con Salsa di Gamberi e Aglio to you). Place your bets: Soave or Pinot Grigio? And place your bets on whether I’ll be sweating Soave tomorrow morn. [Read more…]
This summer, my husband has been working late 2 nights a week. I’ve been trying to keep my cooking time really short on those nights so I can play with my 2-year-old as much as possible. Here are 2 recipes that worked really well recently:
- Store-bought Spinach-cheese Ravioli with Pistachio-Mint Pesto: This one was really good. The Cooking Light recipe called for fettucine, but ravioli was on sale that week and my son is not a huge fan of pasta anyway. He’ll eat ravioli, though – he loves the cheese filling, and anything that gets spinach into his belly is a win as far as I’m concerned. I shelled the pistachios the night before and put all the pesto components into a bowl so when I got home from work I just had to toss them in the mini-food processor and boil the ravioli. The one change I made to the pesto recipe is to cut out the salt – I figured the ravioli is already salty enough and the Romano cheese adds saltiness too.
- “Southwest” Chicken Caesar Salad: Rotisserie Chicken, romaine lettuce, bottled caesar dressing (we like the Simply Dressed brand), toasted wheat baguette. Leftover black beans and corn were a last-minute addition. My son really enjoyed the chicken, toast, and corn.
Do you have any favorite super-fast meals?
A classic that’s great for potlucks and game day.
- 1 14-ounce package frozen artichokes, thawed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/4 cup onion, finely minced
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 cup shredded Monteray Jack cheese, plus more for topping
- pita chips, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roughly chop artichokes. Drain spinach and squeeze dry.
- Mix together all ingredients and spread in a casserole dish. Top with a sprinkle of cheese. Bake for 45 minutes until bubbly and top is brown.
- Serve with toasted pita chips.
I’m so excited to offer my first giveaway! So fun! I have a $25 Williams Sonoma gift card so you can grab those items you didn’t get over the holidays. Here are a few of my favorite under-$25 items from Williams Sonoma.
5 chances to win! Make sure to leave a comment about each of ways you entered to be counted. Winner will be selected by random.org. U.S. residents only. Giveaway starts on Monday, January 16 and ends at 9pm EST on Saturday, January 21.
1. Leave a comment telling me what you’d get with the gift card
2. Follow @gourmetmommy on twitter
3. Tweet the following: I’ve just entered to #win a $25 @WilliamsSonoma gift card from @gourmetmommy. http://wp.me/pzAFl-gb #giveaway
4. Subscribe to Gourmet Mommy updates by email or RSS (link in sidebar)
5. Like Gourmet Mommy on Facebook
Please remember to leave a comment for each of the ways you enter. Otherwise only one entry will be counted. If you already like me on facebook or follow me on twitter, that counts! Just let me know by leaving a separate comment.
To enter leave a comment.
U.S. residents only.
One winner with a valid entry will be selected at random, using random.org. I will email the winner and they will have up to 3 days to claim their prize or another winner will be selected.