Happy Mother’s Day! What are you doing today to celebrate your mom or yourself? I’m lucky that my mom is here with us today! She lives across the country so it’s pretty special to celebrate Mother’s Day with her in person.
First on our agenda is heading off to the farmers market this morning to scoop up some fresh veggies and other delicious treats. I am so excited that our farmer’s market was rated one of the 10 best in the country, by country living magazine! I can attest to its awesomeness with a ton of great produce, local meats, dairy, and locally crafted food like pickles and coffee. Plus there’s a bunch of prepared food choices–nothing like have breakfast choices like pit beef, curry hand pies, or smoked mushroom pita wraps.
I know we’ll find asparagus and arugula, which I’ve absolutely been living on all spring long. Especially in this salad. The texture of whole grain mustard, the richness of really good olive oil, the grassiness of asparagus, the sweetness of roasted red pepper, and the peppery bite from baby arugula are already an amazing combination. Recently though I added crunch with toasted almonds and a buttery avocado and it took this salad over the top for me.
This salad, combined with something simple from the grill, or paired with a quiche for Mother’s Day brunch, couldn’t be a more winning combination.
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5-6 cups arugula
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into 2 inch by 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 pound roasted or grilled asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil, stirring briskly until emulsified.
- Toss dressing with arugula, and half of the red peppers, asparagus, and avocado.
- Transfer to serving platter, and remaining red pepper, asparagus, avocado and toasted pine nuts.