Barbecue is like an accent; how you cook it is indicative of all of the places you’ve ever lived or visited or tried barbecue.
For me, barbecue is pork. It’s pulled. It’s vinegary. And it’s also a bit sweet and spicy. Pork is southern, pulled is Carolina, as is vinegary. Sweet and tomatoey is Northern Florida (where it’s often sliced, what???). Spicy is kind of everywhere but more mid-western.
So yeah, that’s about right, I’ve lived all over and my barbecue tastes reflect that.
While nothing can replace real-deal smoked pork butt, these Slow Cooked Pulled Pork Sandwiches give me the flavors I crave for an easy weeknight meal.
The recipe calls for your favorite store bought barbecue sauce…I like Stubb’s since it’s got the sweet and spicy thing going on. Then I add a dash of Carolina with some extra vinegar.
- 2 cups pulled pork
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (I like Stubb's)
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- Mix together pork, sauce and vinegar. Set aside.
- Make coleslaw: whisk together vinegar, sugar, salt, and mayonnaise. Fold in carrots and cabbage.
- Pile pork on hamburger buns, top with coleslaw. Serve.
The reviews? I think this one liked them!